While most adults already know it is important to eat a healthy diet, many may find it more difficult to sort through all of the information about nutrition and food choices. Below are a variety of resources to help you start healthier eating habits.
Good nutrition plays a vital role in achieving and maintaining optimal health and is essential for the healthy growth and development of children. The Dietary Guidelines for Americans first published in 1980, provide science based advice to promote health and reduce the risk for chronic diseases through diet and physical activity.
The release of Dietary Guidelines for Americans continues the tradition of translating scientific findings in to dietary and physical activity guidance. The recommendations contained within the Guidelines are targeted to the public over two years of age.
• Consume a variety of foods within and among the basic food groups while staying within
• Control caloric intake to manage body weight
• Be physically active every day.
• Increase daily intake of fruits and vegetables, whole grains, and nonfat or low fat milk
and milk products.
• Choose fats wisely for good health
• Choose carbohydrates wisely for good health
• Choose and prepare foods with little salt
• If you drink alcoholic beverages, do so in moderation
• Keep food safe to eat
Please visit the links below for more information regarding nutrition or for nutritional programs please contact our office at (502) 839-4551.